Dr. Barry Cohn
- Troubled Teens
- Eating Disorders
- Trauma and Abuse
- Addictions (Substance Abuse, Sex, Gambling)
- Health, Geriatric & Forensic Psychology
Adoption Counseling in Chicago
Ardent Counseling Center offers services to those considering adoption, are in the adoption process, have given up a child for adoption, were themselves adopted.
As a holistic center we provide counseling to not only the pre-adoptive and adoptive parents, but to the birth parents, children, family members, and others who are impacted by the adoption process.
Working with the entire adoption team helps our therapists understand the multiple perspectives and life cycle themes in operation in your adoption. Our goals are to:
- Provide assistance with the psychosocial tasks specific to adoption
- Promote growth and development in individuals and families affected by adoption
- Help with the communication and complexities of relationships in open adoptions
For Pre-Adoptive Parents
Ardent Counseling Center is unique in that we provide adoption counseling, but do not place children for adoption and are not affiliated with any agency or attorney. Therefore, we are able to offer pre-adoptive parents unbiased guidance, education, counseling, and when necessary, advocacy as they make life lasting decisions during all phases of the adoption process.
Act On Adoption Issues Now, Call (888) 870-1775(888) 870-1775
If you are undecided about adoption, family building options counseling may be the best place to start. If you have already decided to adopt, a pre-adoption consultation is the first step toward developing an adoption plan, taking into account both your short and long-term goals.
Pre-adoptive parents find counseling helps to:
- Decide if adoption is right for them
- Come to decisions that honor both partners
- Learn about communication with birth parents
- Create an adoption profile
- Learn how to define the parameters of comfortable and acceptable adoption agreements
- Decide about a particular adoption situation
- Work through the fall-through of an adoption
Pre-adoptive parents also enjoy our pre-adoption support groups and psycho-educational workshops, which help you to constructively manage the wait, prepare for parenting and enjoy the company of people who share your experiences.
For Adoptive Families
Adoptive parents participate in individual, couples, and family counseling, as well as our adoptive parent support groups and psycho-educational workshops. Our therapists are sensitive to life cycle themes in adoption and can help you to differentiate whether issues are primarily related to adoption, child developmental, personality style, or some combination of these reasons.
Adoptive Parents will find counseling helps to:
- Transition a child home from an orphanage or foster care
- Build attachments
- Understand and plan strategies for difficult behaviors or emotions
- Address sibling issues
- Learn how to talk with a child about adoption
- Plan how to share difficult information
- Process and address open adoption issues
- Support identity in a transracial adoptive family
Children, Teens and Adults who were adopted find counseling offers opportunities to:
- Discuss feelings and thoughts in a safe and neutral setting
- Explore issues related to adoption, race, and identity
Birth Parent Counseling
Our perspective on birth parents is shaped by clinical work done before, during and after the adoption placement. Since Ardent does not do adoptions, the neutral setting comforts our clients. We also offer referrals to birth parent mentors or support groups as well as speaking opportunities for those who want to share about their experiences, which many birth parents find to have a positive impact on growth and healing.
Contact us to learn how we can help you though the adoptive process, so that you can create meaningful change in your life, and in the life of your family.
We look forward to working with you.